U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Artistico 300lb SP Extra White

Re: Artistico 300lb SP Extra White

I agree with Neal about using the Fabriano for pt/pd printing.  I have used it for gum-overs (after soaking the paper in oxalic acid to allow for pt/pd printing), but without the added gum, I don't think the pt/pd by itself on the Fabriano is very satisfactory, especially compared with COT320..  I love the 300 lb Fabriano for gum printing, but not much else.   COT320 does come in a white, or used to, so that might keep everything on the cool side for your prints.  It's the best (in the affordable range) paper for pt/pd printing, in my opinion.  And though it's not like 300 lb paper, it's fairly sturdy.  I've tried TwinRocker, and while I really like that paper and it makes for beautiful prints-- every pt/pd print I have ever made with it resulted in those little black spots during development.   It didn't matter what size or batch I ordered, I could count on at least one black spot-- usually more-- whenever I used TwinRocker.  I always thought that was a shame, because I do like that paper a lot.  The very best paper I have ever used, bar none, for cyanotype and for pt/pd printing is Ruscombe Mills Buxton paper; unfortunately, the cost is out of sight (~ $20 a sheet now, last I checked).

On Dec 2, 2008, at 8:45 PM, Neal Wilson wrote:

I tried Artistico in various weights and my personal experience was that even after acidification it was difficult to clear in comparison with COT320, Arches Platine, Weston, and Stonehenge. I tried all the normal clearing bath options at increasing strength and at increasing temperature, and it just wouldn't clear for me. I wound up giving my remaining stock of Artistico to my kids for drawing. There were just too many other papers I liked that didn't give me the aggravation. Your mileage may vary. It may have been my water, or the amount of EDTA in my Ferric, or a number of other variables. If it's available locally, it's always worth buying a couple of sheets and testing under your real world conditions.
Neal

i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me

Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 17:11:28 -0800
From: david@davidashcraftgallery.com
Subject: Artistico 300lb SP Extra White
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca

Was wondering if any of the pt/pd printers have used Artistico 300lb SP Extra White paper and if so how?  In Arentz 2nd edition Platinum & Palladium Printing book I saw the recommendation for acidification, but this was for HP.  Found a really great deal on the SP which is why I ask.  I am currently using Arches Platine and trying out the Twinrocker paper, I like the thicker papers.

I am just getting started in pt printing and haven't settled on any particular papers yet and don't enjoy a lot of experimentation... oh to be walking the forest trails and beach combing with my camera or making finished prints.

Subject matter I want to print now is winter scenes of snow covered forests and frozen waterfalls to be printed on the cool side.  The other is the California coast and some portraits that I want to print on the warm side.  I plan on using Rising White and Rising Natural matting for each portfolio to match the print and paper tone; will not show brush marks but the paper color around the image.

Any advice is appreciated.  Oh ya, the miracle brush is working out great... and it is sexy!!! I knew I was going to enjoy doing alternative processes!

Thanks,
David