U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Taming Fabriano Artistico (Trad. White) for Cyanotype

Re: Taming Fabriano Artistico (Trad. White) for Cyanotype

Ammonium ferric citrate (why is it written this way--can it equally be written ferric ammonium citrate or is that a chemistry no no?) has bigger molecules than ammonium ferric oxalate and hence is harder to absorb in the paper so I have been told (not being able to see it with my eyes :)) but I have not personally had a problem with bleeding although I certainly do see blue water from washoff.

What do you mean by "peptization" Loris?

And is there a conservation difference in paper that has been treated with HCL vs. oxalic acid, I wonder? Or have I watched too many horror movies where someone's face melts when acid is thrown on it?

One last thing, in a convo with Sam I stand corrected--cyano does not change to a lighter blue with dilution he did say, but he actually also said with major dilution it does--1:6 or so. So it seems Henry, Sam and I are all on the same page with that one. I don't do any cyanotype just for cyanotype's sake as he does (and as I've said there is a gorgeous cyanotype of Sam's in the two page centerfold of the Peek book to prove it).

I find it fascinating that cyanotype is so versatile.
Chris

As a final note, I must add that I got the least amnt. of peptization
bleeding (w/ Traditional Cyanotype) I've seen so far, with neutralized
/acidified Fabriano Artistico... Development water was pretty blue-free
(which to me is not the case with other papers). Maybe the acid is doing
something to the size and/or fibers so that they can retain the colloidal
Prussian Blue particles better, or something like that. Who knows?

P.S. The print was made on the (softer / more textured looking) back side
of the paper (watermark reads backwards).