U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Printing gum with little pigment

Re: Printing gum with little pigment

Agree with Marek here.

Marek, I'm trying to remember where I have a set of such test strips
that I could quickly scan for you.

In the meantime, I have something a little different, that may or
may not be helpful to the discussion. What I have is reflection
density readings for a range of pigment concentrations. This doesn't
show the number of steps on a Stouffer tablet, but it does show the
actual tonal range (of course for gum there's no particular
connection between Stouffer steps and tonal densities).

For my demonstration I used PBk11, which has become my favorite
black; I printed it at six different concentrations. The two
lightest concentrations gave the shortest tonal range, .50 and .62.
The next three all gave a range of .75, each moving progressively
down the scale. The heaviest mix doesn't really count, because I
overexposed it and then subjected it to extreme measures of blasting
it with hot water under pressure and scrubbing it with a wire brush
to bring out the tonalities; it came out at a range of 1.00, but as I
said, I'm not sure it counts because the tones weren't developed
naturally but forced out of the gum by sheet will power and cussedness.

Anyhow, I printed a sample print rather than using test strips, just
because I think most people who aren't used to using step tablets
find an image more intuitive to understand; those test prints and the
density data are here, the first visual on the page:

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/tonality.html

Katharine