U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: gum arabic

Re: gum arabic

Alberto, I was just looking at the kremer site as well, and noticed that least one of their types of gum was described as a mixture of acacia senegal and acacia seyal; myself, I'd prefer pure acacia senegal.

A slight clarification; when I said kordofan and acacia senegal are the same, I meant that kordofan is acacia senegal, not that all acacia senegal is kordofan. Kordofan is technically acacia senegal from a particular region, although I don't think it really matters where the acacia senegal is from, as long as it's acacia senegal. Some time back, most of the acacia senegal came from senegal, hence the name. In more recent years almost all the acacia senegal came from Sudan, but now only about 50% of it is grown there, now much of it comes from other subsaharan countries.
katharine