U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Printing gum with little pigment

Re: Printing gum with little pigment

Hi Marek again,
No, I wouldn't say that you see more dichromate stain on the less
pigmented gums because there is less pigment for the stain to show
through, because you see the dichromate stain even on areas where
there's no pigment. I would say it's a function of the less
pigmented mixes needing less exposure than the more pigmented mixes,
so the less pigmented mixes showed more dichromate stain (as a
function of superfluous development) after the same exposure,
although that dichromate stain seems to be eliminated with longer
development.

I wrote down the number of steps for each strip on a piece of paper
so I can compare them, since the comparison isn't on the same screen,
but I still can't make much sense of the comparison in terms of
comparing exposures and steps, although I'd agree as a general rough
conclusion that there doesn't seem to be a great difference in the
number of steps as a function of the pigment concentration.

I still can't remember where those comparison strips are, but I'm
either going to go through stuff looking for them, or make some
more. You've got me thinking. I think maybe it's an upside-down J-
curve or upside-down U-curve, where there's an optimal amount of
pigment that will give you the most steps, somewhere in the middling
range. But again, I'm thinking of actual value in terms of
reflection density, as in the demonstration I showed, and I'm finding
myself faltering on what the question is. I went back to your
original question, which is posed in terms of whether less pigment
"extends the range," which I would interpret to mean the range of
absolute value, not the number of steps printed, which has no
relationship to absolute value. So maybe we should define our terms.
Katharine