U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Printing gum with little pigment

Re: Printing gum with little pigment

On Jan 16, 2009, at 3:05 PM, Marek Matusz wrote:

Loris,
Here is where the argument breaks down. What you consider a weak/ moderate pigment I might be using and defining as strong. The only way for you to convince yourself of the validity of your assumption is to cut the pigment concentration in half or quarter and print something side by side. I am looking for people that have done it already and can share the actual prints/test strips.
Okay, this is all I found in an afternoon of searching through boxes of test strips and test prints, that would serve the purpose. It would have taken me less time to just go down and print some, but I don't want to go down there; it's cold. . :--) Anyway, here is a comparison of two Stouffer 21-step prints in Prussian at two different pigment concentrations; it is consistent with your observations. These would have been exposed and developed in a way to yield the optimal DMax and maximum number of steps for each mix, per the instructions on my site.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/pigcomp.html

Hope that's useful,
Katharine