U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: UV light box construction

RE: UV light box construction

I built a light box last year for 12x20 which has been working fine. I
couldn't find any explanation of why the distance between the tubes should
be X and why the distance to the neg should Y so I set up a spreadsheet to
calculate the light level at various points across the film plane in order
to find X and Y such that the variation in light level was insignificant. I
ended up with x=6cm and y=18cm which gives a theoretical 13% difference in
light intensity centre to edge.

Of course the calculations are based on assumptions which are not correct -
such as infinitely long tubes and zero reflectance from the sides. I think
the results of the calculations err on the conservative side and you could
probably increase X and reduce Y by some considerable amount before any
variation became 'material'.

I'd be happy to send the spreadsheet (Excel) should you wish to see it - and
anyone else on the list.

Practical advice - paint the inside white. Also I built my box upside down I
think - the box sits face up with the tubes near the floor and the printing
frame goes on neg facing down. I don't think that has any material impact on
results.

Geoff Chaplin
 ジェフ チャップリン

geoff@geoffgallery.net
www.geoffgallery.net
Skype: geoffchaplin1611
UK mobile (英国の携帯電話): +44(0) 7770 787069
Japan mobile (日本の携帯電話): +81(0) 90 6440 7037
Japan land line / fax (日本の電話とファクス): +81(0) 166 92 5855