U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: intensity of bulbs

Re: intensity of bulbs

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: intensity of bulbs
  • From: "Gordon J. Holtslander" <gordon.holtslander@usask.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:22:38 -0600

I use 4 foot 40 watt tubes on my UV unit. I used 4 foot tubes because
they were the cheapest UV tube I could find.

My UV unit is made from 5 plain double tube strip lamps - holds ten
tubes. The lamps are screwed to a piece of plywood so that the spacing
between the tubes is consistent - they are about an inch apart. The unit
is around 2 ft by 4 ft. The whole unit is on hinged to the wall so the
the tubes face the counter surface when its "hinged down" . When I print
the unit sits 4 inches above a couter top. - it has chain stays with
turn-buckles to hold and insure its level. When I'm not printing I hinge
the whole unit up and latch it to the wall. I can get away with having
such a huge unit. When I'm not printing it does not take up any counter
space - just some wall space. I use the same counter top for coating
paper and much of the other work in my darkroom.

I had considered using high intensity tubes and ballasts - but I didn't
think the slightly shorter printing times justified the expense. Might
be worth it if the cost of high intensity tubes and ballasts is much
cheaper now.

If I didn't use strip lamps I could have the tubes much closer together
-(the strip lamp design governs the lamp spacing) allowing a more
intense output, but my printing times haven't been as issue yet ...

Gord