U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: show opening,plexiglas, and Daniel Smith

Re: show opening,plexiglas, and Daniel Smith

Well, I'm not a big fan of glass, either-- although I would love to be able to afford museum glass. I have used plexi in only very few instances-- and, from my experience, the other problem with plexi is that it seems to offer a strange color cast, if you look at it the right (wrong?) way. And if you use it for anything large, it will sometimes warp. Maybe a different manufacturer wouldn't present those same problems, though; that's a good point.

I will say, though, in the 25+ years I've been exhibiting, the only time I ever had a glass break on a framed piece was in shipping once-- and even then, it didn't break in transit. It broke when the person who took the framed piece out of the crate, dropped it. Fortunately, it didn't damage the print. Of course, you're right about the damage to the body. I don't think I've ever framed a big piece without cutting myself. It's a wonder I still have all my fingers. But I do have to invest in a lot of band-aids and first-aid kits. Still . . . you couldn't pay me to use plexi on a regular basis. I do my own framing, too, and additional "patience and elbow grease" --above and beyond-- would probably just send me right over the edge.