U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: mystery paper

Re: mystery paper

Hi Chris,

Awww -- Don't I get 1/4 credit for asking what was *in* the circle of your mystery paper?  ;-)

Hahnemuhle Copperplate is made of alpha cellulose with no sizing (I'm told) and one of my favorite papers to print polymer photogravure.  It's relatively affordable (though you can't get much more affordable than free!).  Dan Welden sold me my first ream of the stuff several years ago and I've been hooked ever since.  It's available in warm white and bright white and requires little soaking compared to sized papers.

If you like printing on it, they make a thinner version,
Hahnemuhle Ingres, that is even better looking, IMO, optimally sharp to print intaglio, and provides very smooth tone as well.  I "soak" it by spraying it and letting it soak in for 5-10 minutes before blotting lightly and printing.  It's available from Kozo Fine Art Materials in Denver, who recommended it to me.  http://www.kozofineartmaterials.com/

Jon

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
D1ACC8790890462081909B96D6D23A8C@DC5YX7B1" type="cite">
Yup, Jim and Henk solved it--it is Hahnemuehle!  Thanks.  I will not be using it for gum, then :) but for solarplate as in reading my Daniel Smith catalog it seems like a soft intaglio paper.  Good to know I will have another use for it.  I think someone gave me a stack of it in 2005 when I was in grad school, and in cleaning out my dimroom last night I came across it for the first time since then.

Thanks you all!
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
http://christinaZanderson.com/