U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: agar sizing

Re: agar sizing

Loris,
agar is not used for growing bacteria but to prevent them to spread, so that they grow in colonies which can be seen at naked eye. You can preserve it as usual (thymol, sodium azide, etc.). The chemical difference between agar and gelatin is that the former is a polysaccharide (like cellulose), the latter a protein.
Damiano,
yes, I know that the jelling properties of agar are stronger than gelatin. But as you want to close the pores of the paper, you need a little more substance on it.
Alberto

Hi Alberto (and Damiano), very interesting indeed. What about preserving
the layer? Isn't agar-agar used to grow bacteria in glass dishes? (In
laboratories.) Is it durable as hardened gelatin? (Probably gelatin also
is vulnerable in humid conditions???) If it's durable then I would prefer
it to gelatin because it leaves formalin and such out of the procedure. I
can't say I like formalin much!
Damiano, I don't think you need "proper jelly" in the paper -> something
which makes the fibers less absorbent / less vulnerable to disintegration
would be fine.

16 Mart 2009, Pazartesi, 4:20 pm tarihinde, Damiano Bianca yazmış:
ciao Alberto.
molto interesante. Un pasticciere mi dice che il potere gelificante
inizia
al 2 x mille. Non sei forse troppo alto?
dam
very interesting but a pastry chef tells me that the gelling power starts
at
about 2 gr/liter.