U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Pond-moonrise (was: Re: Steichen image in April's 'Vanity Fair'

Re: Pond-moonrise (was: Re: Steichen image in April's 'Vanity Fair'

Joe, I apologize for the incorrect attribution; it was Judy apparently who voted for MoMA's version of the print. My mistake, sorry.

The moonrise print you saw in Chicago is the one in the middle on my page, that now looks very brown (not just on my page but on the Met's site) although by all accounts it was originally handcolored with blue-green and yellow pigment over platinum. It puzzles me that it could have kept its color for 80 some years enough to be richly colored when you saw it in 1989, but have lost all its color in the last 20 years. That's why I wish someone could go see for themselves, if it really has faded to brown. But you wouldn't think the Met would represent it that way, if that's not how it is.

I can't of course know what you see on your monitor, but on my monitor the jpeg of the MoMA print looks exactly like the reproduction in "Steichen, the Master Prints" that I scanned it from, and also much like other images of that print that I've seen on the web, except maybe not so dark. Example (oddly, this gov site has this as belonging to the George Eastman House, but it's definitely the MoMA print):

http://www.nga.gov/feature/artnation/steichen/painter_4.shtm

It is much less photographic than the other two prints; it looks to me more like a chalk drawing than a photograph. However, not having seen the actual print, I can only judge from the reproductions I've seen.
kt