U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: OT: Photoshop CS4 upgrade overpriced

Re: OT: Photoshop CS4 upgrade overpriced

Hi Greg and Julian,

I've been moving about a lot lately and didn't see your emailed responses. Sorry.

Greg, as you describe your needs, odds are you don't need CS4. That means you can keep the cash in your pocket. ;^) As I said in my original reply, "... with CS4, Adobe has finally moved to define Photoshop as the domain for serious image editors...." If you don't do any heavy digital lifting and don't enjoy learning new digital things, then you probably are going to be no better off in CS4 than with CS2 or CS3.

I will take issue in the friendliest terms possible with Julian's statement to the effect that only those who "... habitually make complicated montages or are a graphic designer..." have use for CS4. I'm neither a graphic designer nor am I making montages (though I have in years past and thoroughly enjoyed it) but I do find some of CS4's new features welcomed additions to the digital arsenal. These "needs" and "find value in" qualifiers are quite individual, making it that much harder for others to make recommendations unless they are very familiar with the photographer's workflow, hardware and, as is more and more apparent, attitude.

Isn't saying that CS4's clone tools, levels/curves/saturation etc. are the same as Photoshop 6's much like saying the wheels, tires, paint and upholstery are much that same in a 1974 car as a 2009 model? That's a fair statement if you ignore advances in brakes, fuel delivery, suspension, emissions control and safety. (Actually, the clone tool has been improved and, to a larger extent, replaced by the healing brush that makes retouching scans so much easier than in pre- PS7 days. And the spot healing brush makes retouching even more of a no-brainer. CS4's Smart Objects make a leap in non destructive editing; if you didn't sharpen or blur just right, you're just a double-click away from changing your approach. That can save a lot of time compared to redoing your last several editing steps.)

And lordy, claiming that if you get "your exposure/composition and focus right in the first place and you hardly need Photoshop other than to print through" is neither fair to the legions of photographers who use the wet darkroom as a place of discovery and creativity nor to the digital photographers and artists who do the same today without getting their hands wet. John Sexton once commented that it was not unusual for him to spend 40 hours with a new 4x5 negative before he had his first fine print. You can bet that he wasn't fussing with issues of exposure, composition or focus. Please be a bit more open minded before making proclamations like that.

I stated way back in the second edition of "Making Digital Negatives" (10 years go) that software publishers had us on a treadmill of upgrades. Nobody forces you to upgrade, though Adobe's policy of not updating older versions of Camera Raw to work with newer cameras could be interpreted as something of an arm twist. Of course, there are always those junky free Raw converters that come with the cameras so you aren't really left in the lurch if you want to conserve cash.

To be sure, there's plenty of room for gripes with Adobe. The "Save" command is still single-threaded, meaning that we sit and twiddle our thumbs while large images write to disk. There is no good reason this couldn't be multi-threaded so while we're saving one image we could be working on another. And don't even get me started on how so much of Photoshop does not take advantage of the multiple cores that most modern computers use. I don't enjoy the wait time in Photoshop any more than I did the pauses between agitations when tank processing sheet film.

Though my recommendations are never influenced because of freebies, kickbacks or other stuff from software publishers or hardware makers, be aware that I do get Photoshop free from Adobe. Greg asked me to make that disclosure, for whatever reason. Oh, I don't own any stock in digital companies either except for a bit of Apple (happily). And our newest car is six years old.

Hope this helps and doesn't offend,

Dan

info@DanBurkholder.com
www.DanBurkholder.com