U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: muddy gum print--help?

Re: muddy gum print--help?

The one on the left looks pretty good!

The one on the right looks pretty flat and very similar to the ones that I get when I print on finely sanded gesso (which is another story that I will address soon).  In any event, the color balance looks pretty good, so I think you are on the right track.  What I would do is apply three more coats to this flat print with DOUBLE (maybe more) the amount of pigment. (except perhaps with the yellow, which seems to be needed almost everwhere - maybe go lighter on the yellow..) This should serve to add punch to the mid-to-shadows while floating off of the highlight areas - which is fine because you have already addressed those regions with your first attempt.  (see how the floor in the right foreground is pretty close)

good luck!

Keith