U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: lumenprints not chromo?

Re: lumenprints not chromo?

  • To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
  • Subject: Re: lumenprints not chromo?
  • From: Gregg Kemp <gregg.kemp@gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 17:44:45 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com;s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:from:to:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:mime-version:subject:x-priority:date:references:x-mailer;bh=2FesWjr/Sy93GTrMWPE42JcZ0tNiHZpy5YbepzulALQ=;b=Nq/w5MAZdHWsXMwt7auvniSilDq3jCLCp2x/hdC6vyi/03MCDQDKdavWmPYsb1q40ry9VbzT8MBzlyDIDg1VuK3wKgg3WptHOrQ3Hmb8a6Q/PJ7mWCjcqp7DIGkgCWSfvcsPbfscTrrX66wAai7iy9KavJP1WYmxSDv8D1Y1NXM=

My attempts at using fixer with similar multi-day pinhole exposures resulted in the image pretty much disappearing off the paper. I used Arista fixer at normal strength and diluted as much as 1:20, but always lost most of the image. Perhaps a different fixer would work better?

I also had problems scanning at first, but that may just be my scanner (an Epson 3200). I found that if I scanned a 5x7 negative at more than 600 dpi, the scanner would pause during the scan. And the scan would show a slight darkening after the pause. So I now scan at 600 dpi. But perhaps a scanner with more memory or more memory on my computer would not do this. My suggestion is to scan a plain piece of paper at the resolution you plan to use before scanning the actual negative, just to be safe. I also put a piece of black felt behind the negative before scanning, in hopes of keeping down the amount of light bouncing around - just superstition perhaps.

Chris - I looked for the student work on your website that you mentioned, but didn't find it. Would you please post the URL?

Gregg