U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: tips for using dry pigment

Re: tips for using dry pigment

thanks for the reply, marek.
yes, i'm terribly sorry. sometimes i get confused trying to put thoughts into english words (it happens in german too, but... that's a different topic). mainly i forgot to add the "printing" of "carbon printing". i can see now how that led to confusion.

i thought about soap, because it diminishes the surface tension. but i wouldn't have dared to add it to the gelatin-mix, because of the nervous balance of things that is carbon printing. i'll definitely give it a try next time.
i also forgot to mention my secret mixing tool, i discovered some time ago. it's a little battery powered propeller used for milk frothing, for coffees and such. costs nothing and makes mixing a lot easier (sometimes - only good for smaller batches).
looks like that:
http://www.shoxx.com/catalog/images.products/h/HHW031-1_pic1.jpg

phritz

Marek Matusz schrieb:
Phritz,
You have done well to confuse us with two processes in one parapraph, both using powdered pigments.
I assume that your observations and issues are different for carbon tissue making and gum printing.
I have used powdered carbon black for both gum printing and carbon tissue making. My secret for carbon tissue making is to add about 0.5cc/liter of emulsion of jet dry (a detergent that is used here for spotless drying of the dishes in automatic diswashers). I add jet dry to the gelatin mix and pour some in a blender with the carbon powder. Mix it thorugly for a few minutes (don't worry about bubbles) and add the remaining gelatin. The detergent works miracles in terms of dispersing carbon and later allowing bubbles to break.
I use it for mixing gum with carbon black powder, a few drops /100 ml, but find it less necessary.
Hope that helps.
Marek
FOr carbon tissue amking

Insert movie times and more without leaving HotmailŪ. See how. <http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutorial_QuickAdd1_052009>