U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: tips for using dry pigment

RE: tips for using dry pigment

Loris,
Net time you get the urge to make glop try kitchen blender. It doeas a wonderful job of homogenizing pigment and gelatin solution. I have to say that my margartias are as smooth as well. I never found any reason to filter them.

Marek

> Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 08:36:35 +0300
> From: mail@loris.medici.name
> Subject: Re: tips for using dry pigment
> To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
>
> Hi Judy,
>
> It's good practice to grind powdered pigment w/ a little water and/or
> gelatin solution before mixing it into the bulk solution in order to get a
> better dispersion w/o pigment clumps. Also, it's good practice to filter
> the glop (as we name it -> that's the term carbon printers use for
> pigmented gelatin w/ other ingredients like sugar, glycerin and alcohol)
> through fine cheesecloth or nylon stocking just before pouring so that you
> get an even better dispersion free of bubbles and a very even coating w/o
> any bits. I just omitted doing it with my first tissue and the carbon
> prints from that particular tissue exhibited irrelevant bits of pigments
> here and there, ruinin g every single one...
>
> Actually, carbon printing is pretty easy / straightforward once you manage
> to make a good tissue -> that's the real hard part of the whole process
> (not mentioning the strict environment requirements). Of course, there's
> always the possibility of buying ready made tissue. Fortunately
> Bostick-Sullivan makes nice carbon tissue for the more outcome oriented
> and/or faint hearted.
>
> Regards,
> Loris.
>

> 13 Mayıs 2009, Çarşamba, 8:07 am tarihinde, Judy Seigel yazmış:
> > I've probably copied more out of the copyrighted text than is legal, but
> > there's nothing about mortar & pestle. Instead you let the gelatin swell
> > in cold water, let it sit 20 to 30 minutes, fill beaker with water to 1
> > liter, place in crock-pot with more water, & set on high... The gelatin
> > will melt in 30-40 minutes, add sugar & stir til dissolved. Add the
> > glycerin, add the pigment & STIR, MIXING WELL. "YOU DO NOT WANT ANY
> > PIGMENT SITTING ON THE BOTTOM AS IT WILL CLUMP & GET GRAINY IF IT COOKS
> > THERE." NOW YOU LET THE BUBBLES ESCAPE, KEEPING HOT FOR 1 & 1/2 HOURS AT
> > LEAST... THEN POUR & SPREAD WITH COMB." (Please excuse capital letters, I
> > must have hit the caps lock in error.)
> >
> > But just reading this wears me out... Have you considered a nice simple,
> > easy process like, for instance gum printing ???!!!

Hotmail® has a new way to see what's up with your friends. Check it out.