U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: tips for using dry pigment

Re: tips for using dry pigment

Hi Judy,

It's good practice to grind powdered pigment w/ a little water and/or
gelatin solution before mixing it into the bulk solution in order to get a
better dispersion w/o pigment clumps. Also, it's good practice to filter
the glop (as we name it -> that's the term carbon printers use for
pigmented gelatin w/ other ingredients like sugar, glycerin and alcohol)
through fine cheesecloth or nylon stocking just before pouring so that you
get an even better dispersion free of bubbles and a very even coating w/o
any bits. I just omitted doing it with my first tissue and the carbon
prints from that particular tissue exhibited irrelevant bits of pigments
here and there, ruining every single one...

Actually, carbon printing is pretty easy / straightforward once you manage
to make a good tissue -> that's the real hard part of the whole process
(not mentioning the strict environment requirements). Of course, there's
always the possibility of buying ready made tissue. Fortunately
Bostick-Sullivan makes nice carbon tissue for the more outcome oriented
and/or faint hearted.

13 Mayıs 2009, Çarşamba, 8:07 am tarihinde, Judy Seigel yazmış: