U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: a few notes on my first few gum prints...

RE: a few notes on my first few gum prints...

I agree the hake brushes are terrible – depositing hairs as well as having no feel to them. (They are useful for brush development in cold water though.) I use [for 8x10 prints] a 2” watercolour ‘resable’ brush – not expensive but I’ve been using the same brush for over a year now (maybe 100+ prints) and its never lost a hair [unlike me] and still has plenty of spring to it [er … also unlike me].

Coating is a fun game. I never use a dry smoothing brush – when I tried it made things much worse.

I print with gum or PVAL. They have different characteristics and require different techniques – as will gum with different amounts of dichromate. Gum and equal amounts of 13% dichromate is a wet and runny liquid which I find goes smoothly and easily onto dry paper. PVAL and equal amount of 5% dichromate has similar printing times but is a much more viscous liquid. Tricks I have found useful are (1) wetting the brush (but removing excess water) before use, (2) dampening the paper – helpful for more viscous mixes, (3) using a softer watercolour brush for more liquid mixes, (4) allow the gum print to self-heal – repeated thin coats hide a lot of unevenness in a single coat.

Coating also seems to vary according to the layer you are putting on: a first layer of yellow/sienna is always perfectly smooth but intermediate layers of heavier pigments can be more problematic.

Incidentally I print from a single negative: if you’re trying to do 3-colour separation prints in a similar number of layers then you’re problems are greater.

Geoff Chaplin

 ジェフ チャップリン

geoff@geoffgallery.net

www.geoffgallery.net

Skype: geoffchaplin1611

UK mobile (英国の携帯電話): +44(0) 7770 787069

Japan mobile (日本の携帯電話): +81(0) 90 6440 7037

Japan land line / fax (日本の電話とファクス): +81(0) 166 92 5855