U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: a few notes on my first few gum prints...

Re: a few notes on my first few gum prints...

Dear Paul,
Nice to see another budding gummist. Your print online looks really good for someone who has just started out.

I've been following the discussion but have not been online much due to biting off more than I can chew this summer. When will I ever learn.

The hake brush I have found that works for me is the Connoisseur 150 series hake brush.  It has that spring and does not turn to mush.  It is a stitched ferrule brush so after the first number of uses when an occasional hair falls out, it remains pretty stable.  I've used the same one for all the years I have gum printed, but actually use about 10 of them now. I can get them for $5 each and since they last so long I don't consider that a big expense. It is the 2" variety--the 3" bend too much for me. I even use this size when doing the 13x19" inch prints.

I do use a second brush to smooth a coat when it warrants it, and have found the badger LW15 brush at Jerry's Artarama to do the trick for $18.  BUT, when teaching a workshop or class, I only have 2 of them, so have resorted to using the same Connoisseur brush for smoothing (a dry one) and it works great.

I use under 5ml for an 8x10.  I usually use closer to 2.5 ml, but that smaller amount is when mixing up a batch to do 6-8 prints at once.

I actually don't mind the brush strokes, though--it's what makes a gum print look like a painting and not a c-print.  But they have to be strategically placed :)

The graininess you notice when double-brushing....hmmm...it could be that the coating is too dry at that point. I use the brush in a flicking motion at 90 degrees to the paper, very lightly.  But the entire coating routine takes maybe 30-45 seconds...

Hope this helps.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
http://christinaZanderson.com/