U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: a few notes on my first few gum prints...

Re: a few notes on my first few gum prints...

Yes, soft is good. My "harder" comment was relative; we have two types of wooden handle foam brushes which both are "soft" by any standard. The one I mention is slightly harder (but again it's still soft) and has a slightly finer texture. That one works better for me.

Foam brush so easy and practical that I can't imagine coating myself using any kind of hake for watercolor wash brushes.

One thing I don't like with usual brushes is that when you have to be quick and use them harshly (such as coating gum emulsion over a large area) they tend to spray tiny tiny drops of emulsion on the paper edges and/or coating area. Since in those tiny drops will contain dichromate in gum printing, I don't like that idea at all... (Smoothing / burnishing is different; the emulsion is more viscous / tacky when you start smoothing, therefore no bubbles.)

Anyway, each to their own.