U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Suggestions for sizing gum in an apartment

Re: Suggestions for sizing gum in an apartment

I'm one who tried it (and yes, I did try the right product) and didn't like it. I used it at full concentration, since one person who uses it successfully applies it at full strength, and it gave me a hard, shiny surface that the gum didn't stick to well, and even diluted by half it was still too plastic-y for my taste ; any less didn't provide enough sizing. In a conversation here, (too hurried to look it up in the archives) I think we agreed that it probably depends a lot on the paper; Jim uses a more absorbent paper and the stuff soaks in more, while I use a paper with a very crisp surface (Arches bright white) and the stuff sits more on top. So I think it's probably a matter of playing around with concentrations until you get a combination that works with your paper. While I didn't like it for my own work with my own materials, I would definitely recommend it for people looking for a nontoxic size; I know it works like a charm for several people, and I certainly wasn't intending to discourage anyone from trying it, simply reporting my own experience with it.

Katharine