U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Tricolor Gum Question

Re: Tricolor Gum Question

Okay, looking at the prints again, I have another question: did you expose/develop the yellow and magenta the same in both prints? Because what it looks to me, just looking at the prints, is that the problem with the first print isn't so much the magenta as that the yellow is out of balance, too strong. It's always easier to balance the last color printed, since you've got the other colors there already, than when it's the first color and there's nothing else to go by. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know, as an accomplished tricolor gum printer, but just a thought; it looks to me that maybe you misjudged the yellow on the first print, when it was the only color there, and maybe didn't develop it quite long enough, and got it right on the second when it was last and therefore easier to judge. I could be completely wrong about this, and if you know that you exposed and developed them both (both yellows) exactly the same, then I will definitely be wrong; let me know.
Katharine