U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: Gum tonal range (was Miracle size for gum)

Re: Gum tonal range (was Miracle size for gum)

Odd, I didn't get phritz's post, just etienne's response.

Yes, I'm talking about the tonal range of one printing. Understand, I'm not giving "the print tonal range of gum" as .75, it's just that those three pigment concentrations of iron oxide black printed an identical range of .75; the range just moved down the scale as the pigment concentration increased. But I'd have to do a whole lot more testing than I have any interest in doing, to make any general statement about the tonal range of gum. This pigment (PBk11) is a weak pigment and requires a lot of pigment to reach a particular color depth, so even the medium-dark concentrations have quite a lot of pigment in them., and the darkest one has a whole tube of paint dumped into about 15 ml gum, as I recall. It would probably be easier to get a longer scale with a carbon black that has a lot more pigment strength.

Marek's examples are the best tonal range I think I've seen in gum. I tried the bleach development and couldn't make it work for me; I've forgotten the details now, but he's definitely got it.

On reflection while cutting and hauling brush today, I'm not sure I'm entirely in agreement that the transfer function for gum is nonlinear, but I'm too tired to put my mind to it tonight. I do agree that it works better to work from a long-scale negative and print the various parts of the range separately, rather than to print with a shorter DR negative; this goes back to a discussion a few weeks ago. A light pigment load of almost any pigment will print heavenly subtle smooth gradations in highlights much like palladium, as long as the tones are there in the negative to print.

Katharine