U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | RE: TMY (was Gum tonal range) (was Miracle size for gum)

RE: TMY (was Gum tonal range) (was Miracle size for gum)

Paul,

First it is a true 400 speed film, if you are exposing at 200 then IMO, and
other photographers that I know locally, you are over exposing thus
increasing the appearance of grain especially in the highlights and
important tonal areas like skin tones (although this maybe a quality one
desires.)

I don't use D-76 and haven't for years since it has limited stock solution
life. There are times when I don't shoot enough film to make using D-76
economical. I prefer concentrates (except for Rodinal which I hate and IMO
is extremely over rated, especially on APUG).

For the past year or so I've been using TMAX developer. It's a concentrate
and has a long shelf life reminiscent of HC-110 though I can't say if it
will last that long. Diluted 1:7, contrast is much more controllable with
longer development times, for me 8.5 minutes @ 75F for roll film (processed
in a traditional roll film tank) makes very scan-able negatives.

If you need to push a stop then 1:4 @ 75 F for 5.5 minutes for sheet film in
a Jobo @ the slowest rotation and similar for roll film in a tank.

You will need to come to grips with what ever development method you use
since there are so many variations but I suggest you use Kodak's
documentation for TMAX developer to start, it will get you very close to
begin with.

I tend to watch what I'm including in the frame, especially when it comes to
highlights and of course you will need to take into account how you plan to
use the negative. If you are printing to silver gelatin, or scanning, or
contact printing for alt. processes, etc., etc,. etc, ,,,.

I've been using a lot of fill flash for portraits recently and that can help
manage extreme contrast for those subjects.

But the grain size is gorgeous for a 400 speed film. I have a friend who is
experimenting with 2 part Pyro-Cat and his results show that it can make
some very fine negatives. And as Sandy King has pointed out, 2 part pyro-cat
can make negs with extreme sharpness due to edge effects when stand
developed. I'm sure I'll go back to pyro developers with this film but for
now I'm using TMAX since I'm rebuilding my darkroom.

As always your mileage <sp?> may vary.

Don