From: Judy Seigel [mailto:jseigel@panix.com]
Sent: 13 October 2009 19:51
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: PVA size concentration for gum printing

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Paul Viapiano wrote:

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/viapiano/3989853175/
>
> Also, don't forget that Keith Taylor prints those beautiful Decosse gums
> in 3 layers and NO size. There is also NO preshrink in his workflow due
> to the affixing of the paper onto an aluminum substrate and therefore
> keeping registration integrity. So, 3 baths total and no problems with
> stain.
>
> Paul

Paul, Do you know how he "affixed' it to the aluminum substrate?  I tried
a couple of methods from old books: One was pure nightmare, and left the
print in shreds. As I recall it used shellac as the binder, but it didn't
"snap" off the aluminum as promised... it only left in scraps.

The second was more successful.... as I recall a coat of wax which just
had to be warmed a tad.... but that's from memory. I'll check. (I think
it's in either P-F #8 or #9 but I'm supposed to be rushing out now, so
don't stop to check -- lest I end up in the studio instead.)

J.