U of S | Mailing List Archive | alt-photo-process-l | Re: How large without a preshrink?

Re: How large without a preshrink?

I'm with Jeremy on this.
Often (and this is in ref to doing gum layers atop a pt/pd print) times the registration need not be "perfect" as a little wiggle room isn't all that noticeable.
One trick I use, and this may have been suggested before, is to steam the paper just before registering and taping down the negative. I do this with both Rives BFK and Fabriano Artistico ExWhite, works well when the registration is 1/8" or so off... I steam the back of the paper over a tea pot and slowly but surely it relaxes and stretches out to align ... tape it down, and put it in the UV box.
Key is to not steam it too long that it causes the gum layer to get damp and ruin the neg... I've done this and it sucks, at which point I tear the negative in half and yell - much like Jeremy and Christina

matt magruder