From: Matthew Magruder [mailto:altlist@scootermagruder.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 4:30 PM
To: alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca
Subject: Re: How large without a preshrink?

I'm with Jeremy on this.
Often (and this is in ref to doing gum layers atop a pt/pd print) times the
registration need not be "perfect" as a little wiggle room isn't all that
noticeable.
One trick I use, and this may have been suggested before, is to steam the
paper just before registering and taping down the negative. I do this with
both Rives BFK and Fabriano Artistico ExWhite, works well when the
registration is 1/8" or so off... I steam the back of the paper over a tea
pot and slowly but surely it relaxes and stretches out to align ... tape it
down, and put it in the UV box.
Key is to not steam it too long that it causes the gum layer to get damp and
ruin the neg... I've done this and it sucks, at which point I tear the
negative in half and yell - much like Jeremy and Christina

matt magruder