[alt-photo] Re: New Platinum Prints

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Sun Apr 11 16:51:39 GMT 2010

Edward, you say it's Fabriano 50-50. Is that Fabriano 5? If it's
Fabriano 5, you don't need an acid presoak. For papers that need acid
presoak (like Fabriano Artistico) you can use mild solutions of oxalic
/ acetic or hydrochloric acids. (A couple minutes in 2-5% will do the
job. My rule of thumb is to keep the paper in the acid solution until
it stops fizzing/making bubbles. In my practice that takes about 2
minutes in 5% HCl.) You'll have to thoroughly wash/rinse the paper
afterwards; you don't want residual acid in the paper since it will
ruin it in the long term. (The practice already does weaken the paper
so this is important!) A nice (and cheap) test to learn if the paper
does indeed need an acid presoak is trying cyanotype on it. Cyanotype
is pretty sensitive to paper impurities and you'll get a less than
ideal result with the slightest incompatibility.