[alt-photo] how to be wrong GLOBALLY !

Judy Seigel jseigel at panix.com
Wed Apr 28 21:08:59 GMT 2010

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Christina Anderson wrote:

> Thanks, Jeremy, for the appreciation!  And I have Sam Wang to thank for
> alt (the reason I went to grad school at Clemson) and Rudi DIetrich who
> was the first to teach me gum.  Rudi taught gum when it was an anomaly
> and he started digital photography in our program much to the chagrin of
> the other Photo faculty who were completely against digital--it wasn't
> going to "stick", it was a waste of money, a passing fad...etc.  Can you
> believe it??? I think that was like 1990 or so. Chris

Speaking of false prophets of the modern age, Chris... I'll see you and
raise you on the sneers about digital...

Somewhere in our house (put away so carefully I'll never find it until I
stumble over it looking for something else) I have a book that was a best
seller some 15 or 20 years ago:  "Silicon Snake Oil" by Eric Stoll.  It's
an "expose'" of the Internet in general, and how it isolates people,
sitting alone with their keyboards, without human connection or live
friendships.  At the end of the book he throws it all out, pulls all the
plugs... and heads back to the *human* world.

I think of this "wisdom" again & again and again, every time some new/old
friend from "the list" drops by, every time there's mention of meet-ups
and tutorials and conferences of listers, and the continuing expansion of
other activities -- feuds, fun, romance (oh let it be !!), classes,
projects, conferences, shows, and in more ways than we can count, ongoing
myriad "list" friendships... Surely, if we bumped into someone from
"the list" in, say, a Florida photo gallery -- we'd feel instant
connection (even if it was, um, not even a gum printer !!!)...

As someone we all know & admire would put it...

heh heh heh heh heh....

PS. Speaking of "blabbing secrets," Chris -- I doubt that a *real* artist
would depend on a "secret process."  In fact, wouldn't it show how
superior they really are if other folks do it and it's NOT so special
(like how many x, y & z prints are really a great big bore ?)

Judy