[alt-photo] Re: how to be wrong GLOBALLY !

sam wang samwang864 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 02:39:36 GMT 2010

Judy,

I remember the Stoller book very well, and actually had my dean read it to
convince him NOT to spend the money that the computer support folks wanted
us to spend. Eric Stoller was a folk hero at the time, especially right
after the PBS documentary on how he caught the overseas hacker when to most
"hacking" was a foreign term and concept. But that was a heck of a long time
ago, about the time that a colleague in Kentucky told me he wasted $10K on
an IBM system and couldn't do a thing with it in graphics!

When Clnton and Gore pushed for the Information Super-highway, the Net was
so slow as to be painful to use, and there were pitifully few people I knew
who used email. I was even ridiculed by colleagues for "wasting time" with
computers. So we can't really blame Stoller. He was simply, to borrow a
remark, "no Steve Jobs". Few can be right through such tumultuous changes.

Sam Wang