[alt-photo] Re: Pt/Pd printing Video

Paul Viapiano viapiano at pacbell.net
Thu Apr 29 18:54:34 GMT 2010

Well, I just looked at the B&S site to check on the cost of pt/pd. Platinum
solution is now $800 for 100ml while palladium is $189 for the same amount.
I believe Stan Klimek uses 1:5 platinum to palladium as described in the
Arentz appendix.

Sure these prices are ridiculous (I won't ever scoff at gas prices again, or
Epson ink!) but amortized out don't seem preposterous to someone who is
selling prints. If you use .5ml of pt and 2.5ml of pd to make a large print,
your total cost of chemicals is in the $8-9 area. Add paper, OHP, dev and
clearing chems and you could be up at $15, then add your time, PLUS the fact
that you are selling art, not your physical labor. No one ever asks a
painter how long it took them to paint a piece and judged it's worth by
that.

Diana, I find that most people not educated in photo or other art processes
just go for the image regardless of process. It's the picture factor, and
could be the reason for the "Hell, I can do that" attitude of many when
looking at photographs.

The funny thing is, the labor and time involved not to mention the hours and
years of study and costly experimenting is so taken as a given among
darkroom and alt process practitioners, yet it is this expertise in BOTH
process and your personal artistic vision, the photograph itself, that comes
into play when valuing a piece.

When describing my process to a lay person, they look at me with this
expression of incredulity and pity, as if to say "You poor person, don't you
know there are digital cameras that can do that in the blink of an eye?"
until they start to get it and see and feel what I'm going for. Then, of
course, the illusion is broken again when I say, "...but first you have to
cut the paper, and soak it in a bath and let it dry, etc.." and their eyes
glaze all over again ;-)

Paul