[alt-photo] Re: how to be wrong GLOBALLY !

Judy Seigel jseigel at panix.com
Thu Apr 29 19:13:48 GMT 2010

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010, sam wang wrote:

> Judy,
>
> I remember the Stoller book very well,

So it IS "Stoller," not "Stoll"...  (I'd love to find that book and make
sure... but now the odds are completely against me)...

> and actually had my dean read it to
> convince him NOT to spend the money that the computer support folks wanted
> us to spend. Eric Stoller was a folk hero at the time, especially right
> after the PBS documentary on how he caught the overseas hacker when to most
> "hacking" was a foreign term and concept. But that was a heck of a long time
> ago, about the time that a colleague in Kentucky told me he wasted $10K on
> an IBM system and couldn't do a thing with it in graphics!

I was told by someone who knew everything and promptly moved to Australia
that Mac was the only choice for graphics.... so I began with a Mac in
1986 for "The Women Artists'News"...  (and probably upgraded at least once
since then, tho I wouldn't bet money on twice) so clearly you can't lose
them all... tho by the time my daughter got her own system (advised by a
then-boyfriend) the choice was not Mac -- but that other company I'm
forgetting the name of now... Interestingly, however, when that system
went blooey after 10 or 12 years & she did her own research, she chose
Mac.

> When Clnton and Gore pushed for the Information Super-highway, the Net was
> so slow as to be painful to use, and there were pitifully few people I knew
> who used email. I was even ridiculed by colleagues for "wasting time" with
> computers. So we can't really blame Stoller. He was simply, to borrow a
> remark, "no Steve Jobs". Few can be right through such tumultuous changes.
>
> Sam Wang

Actually I was advised by Greg Schmitz, who knew/knows EVERYTHING (I'd
picked him up in the hallway at Pratt where we were both teaching
something to do with "Alternative Photography")....  Really, knowing him
was like hanging out with the Rosetta Stone... but THEN, he upped and
moved to Alaska.... (How does one deal with something like that?)

Hi Greg !!!

J.