[alt-photo] Re: how to be wrong GLOBALLY !

Judy Seigel jseigel at panix.com
Thu Apr 29 20:01:38 GMT 2010

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Diana Bloomfield wrote:

> Though it sounds like he was somewhat correct in that the internet does seem,
> at once, to pull people together (on a global scale, really) and also isolate
> us.  I sometimes feel I go for days without actually talking to anybody-- you
> know, face-to-face.  The sad part is, I don't think I really care.  Now that
> can't be good, can it?  And how many people actually use a home phone
> anymore?  The only calls I get on it are solicitations, recordings, and
> reminders of doctor and haircut appts.  I'm shocked when somebody "real"
> calls me.

But if you face reality Diana, what are those "real" people talking about?
Last night's TV show?  The dress they found on sale?  I don't even know
what "REAL" people talk about any more (who has time for TV when they need
to find out how to titrate wet dichromate?).  Which is to say, as a
general rule, "the list" or the equivalent, a group of even "regular"
photographers, has more to share that we need and want, and in this field
not only is the info constantly multiplying and changing, we can't IN ANY
EVENT get all the variables, possibilities AND discoveries, under
control...

Again, to quote Diana, "the sad part is, I don't think I really care".
Exactly. Now you just need to think of it as "the wonderful part" --- I
try that myself, and often succeed (mostly). Then , if, in spite of
myself, I get restless, ready for human contact (while husband is in his
ivory tower, ie., office, for years on end) -- I can go and sit on my
front stoop, and nod at passersby, or just stare at them... even talk to
neighbors I know.  That of course is one of the advantages of city living
(I don't talk here about the bad parts).  But it sure is easier to get up
off that stoop and back to work then it is to get off this list (at least
today.... sigh).

J.