[alt-photo] mixing platinum in stainless steel container

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Tue Aug 31 13:46:15 GMT 2010

Dear All,
Well, start to a new school year and I am never fully ready.
I was going through old magazine articles preparing for class and came across a funny article from Darkroom Photography (1987) where photographers shared their darkroom nightmares. In there, George Tice shared a story about mixing platinum in a stainless steel tank, and that the chemistry reacted with the iron in the stainless stell and not only badly pitted the stainless steel tank but also he had to have a chemist remove the iron chemically from the platinum solution to salvage it.

George Tice is an inveterate platinum printer. I have not heard this. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com