[alt-photo] Re: and a warning...

Judy Seigel jseigel at panix.com
Wed Feb 3 04:33:43 GMT 2010

Dear Humble List Manager:

You ask:

> ...did you ever receive a phishing mail that also provides the password
> like this one?

Kees, tho I wouldn't bet money on it, I could certainly imagine a phishing
e-mail presenting a "password."  (If not, they're missing a nice touch.)

The message I got, as I understood it, simply asked for my password, which
I took to mean my own all-purpose password for everything everywhere,
there being no possibility that I could remember more than one as well as
name, address and PIN number (nor would I care to-- as explained by the
theory of conservation of energy, otherwise known as "HELP!"

Plus, if your message gave me a special or personal password for the
purpose of this new list, sorry I didn't get that part...

Nor had it occured to me that, this list being generally open, we'd now
need a "password" -- having done without one these many years... So,
having failed to register the change, for which I again apologize, I
extend double apologies for distracting you when you're probably on
overload.

Tho I take the liberty of noting that, in my experience, EXPERTS who
already have something clearly in mind often think (especially if it's
simple) that everyone else knows it too, whether it's been stated or not.

> The listsoftware of the new list sends out a monthly reminder to all.
It reminds you of your subscribtion and sends you also your password. This
service makes it easier for people to unsubscribe or change their
subscription settings. For example you can set it to 'no mail' during
vacations or switch from 'daily' to 'digest'.

> ...and you can even turn off the montly reminders!

Alas, the "options" and "fill ins" and "setting" queries that fill daily
life have already scorched that part of my brain, tho you're extremely
ingenious to have managed so much, and I promise to try my best.

> your humble listmanager...
>
> -kees

with thanks to Kees for his patience and service to the list, from your
humble brain-scorched subscriber,

Judy