[alt-photo] "Alternative Printing": Terms to define

Judy Seigel jseigel at panix.com
Mon Feb 15 05:22:13 GMT 2010

Tho this "alternative printing" thread has had many valid, insightful and
interesting comments, the problem I found when going through -- how
many?-- 50 or 870 of them when I logged on tonight, was that the terms are
not defined..., with different meanings seemingly used interchangeably,
and/or same terms (apparently or possibly) given different meanings.

For instance (naively of course) when the term "digital print" first
appeared I thought of a print made with a digital negative.... Strictly
speaking, that also is a "digital print."  Though I thought also of
"inkjet prints" -- recalling a photo magazine (PhotoVision?) that has an
annual photo competition open to all the world & reproduces the [100?, or
anyway many] of the prints, naming their medium, in a subsequent issue.
I recorded the medium of each and added them up (as I recall, reporting
totals to the list [???]).

As it happens, yesterday, in a doomed effort to control the mess in the
studio, I threw that list (among other detritus) out... but haven't
emptied the trash yet (who empties trash?), so when I'll rescue it and
report the (newly relevant?) results.

As I remember however, what struck me was that the medium most often
reported was "archival inkjet print."  Whether the "archival" word is
omitted from this discussion because all inkjet prints are now alleged to
be archival, or .... the distinction is simply being fudged, I have no
idea... nor do I care:  For me, the FUN (and "art") of the printing is
making the print, while "digital" means (or used to mean, or could also
mean) that the NEGATIVE was made digitally.

Since long hours of standing in the dark have lost their charm for me, and
making enlarged negs by contacting same-size prints onto lith film is
certifiably one of the most delicate and tedious processes known to
humanity, & my former inkjet printer has gone belly up, I will make my
"digital negatives" henceforth via the Epson 3800 sitting at my elbow (as
soon as I find the manual, around here SOMEWHERE I'm sure)...  Meanwhile,
I think of the prints as hybrids -- digital negatives, printed by
hand-applied media. Tho, given the centrality of the negative, it seems to
me that "digital" is, while not essential, still a valid part of the
designation.  (Eg: "Digital neg, gum bi print," or "gum bichromate print
from digital negative," etc.)

Nor does the term "digital print" seem adequate on its own... among other
reasons because there are now so MANY forms of "digital print"... (and
surely will be more).

Judy