[alt-photo] Re: "Alternative Printing": Terms to define

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Mon Feb 15 13:32:19 GMT 2010

Wet plate positives (tintypes/ambrotypes) are already in the category of
alternative process. S/G (or other process) prints from wet plate negatives
can also easily qualify as alternative process since the image forming
medium is historical and/or hand crafted. OTOH, *in my highly subjective
view* pinhole photography "alone" wouldn't qualify as an alt-process at all,
simply because "it's not a process" in the sense I get it. Sorry.

BTW, that comment (that you've quoted below) wasn't about what is an
alternative-process or what isn't. It was about labeling prints. And I
definitely don't object to give information about the specifics of
image-making, but I often find it unnecessary and sometimes distracting.
BTW, I don't find "cyanotype from pinhole image" as excessively informative;
since pinhole is a special case. But still, it's not a process in itself, at
least unless you present the negatives like some do...

I mean if pinholes alone would qualify as alt-process then lensbaby images
alone would also qualify as well, since lensbaby images can't be categorized
among mainstream imaging styles. You see what I mean?

Now, that's a can of worm indeed, and I don't accept responsibility since my
original comment wasn't about what you actually bring into discussion. Since
you've opened it, I felt to jump...

Regards,
Loris.