[alt-photo] Re: A possible new ink/powder for pigmenting

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Sun Feb 21 14:41:36 GMT 2010

I'm here, Douglas!
Yes, the Mie effect is a fascinating one.  I've got the Scientific American magazine here which is the first mention of it in relation to photography that I found.  I've been working on an article on chromoskedasic sabattier, in fact, this week, but until then one of my articles and Alan Bean's as well are up on the Freestyle website.  I have some great work by my students I'd like to publish along with my work.

Alan was one of the first to experiment with the process.  He read Dominic Man Kit Lam's article in Scientific American, as did William Jolly, and they were the ones who wrote about it in magazines at that time.  I have been in correspondence with Alan over the last year or so, and encourage him to get a website going of his work, which is beautiful. He's not into the web for various reasons.

Personally, I find it fascinating when it is combined with printing negatives, which he does.

I find it hilarious when ARTnews or Art in America publishes these great articles "discovering" some artist working in this new process, which, in fact, happens to be an old one--photograms or chromo.  I am reading, in fact, an article right now called The Indecisive Image which was in the 2008 March ARTnews magazine, dealing with this new wave of abstract photographers who do none other than photograms and chemical means of deriving abstraction through darkroom processes.  I think it is great they got press in ARTnews, but their processes certainly aren't "new".  Just I guess recycled. Every few years I see the art magazines talking about this kind of stuff, like the photograms created by one woman who placed her paper on the floor and had her kittens pee on them and she made these...kittigrams or pee-o-grams.

But now a lot of these processes are becoming antiquated, and so pretty soon we'll talk about BW on this list...
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com