[alt-photo] Re: Multi coat Gum -3rd+ coats tends to wash off

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Fri Feb 26 09:35:46 GMT 2010

I'm not sure if changing the order of layers does indeed help the emulsion
to cling onto paper. (I don't think so but that's gum!)  My understanding of
Keith's (highly plausible) practice comes from the fact that printing cyan
first makes easy to register subsequent layers. Also what really ruins a gum
print is often an error in the cyan layer (paraphrasing Keith - I agree
completely), so printing it first will let you decide if it's worth to
continue and/or allow to change your strategy before it's too late. (Again,
highly plausible explanation; even if you don't follow their path exactly,
it's very beneficial to listen to the masters...) The only disadvantage (if
you like...) of this method is that you have to choose pretty transparent
yellows and reds/magentas for subsequent layers - if not, you'll have a
distinct haze over your dark tones. OTOH, that could change the look
completely. May work for you or may not...

If your emulsion doesn't leave the paper in bits and pieces (flaking that
is), then you probably don't have to fiddle with pigment amounts.
(Especially if you're happy with the colors you're getting.)

IME, if you use a relatively thick coating solution, you definitely need to
brush pretty harshly to be able to get a nice smooth and thin layer. Maybe
you should try to lightly size the paper (with 3% hardened gelatin or
diluted PVA size) to minimize the risk of staining.

Play with the exposures a little bit - just as Paul mentioned. That could
help indeed, in case it doesn't negatively affect your darks in the same
time.

What exactly is your coating solution's formulation? If it's gum/pigment +
dichromate 1:1, you may try to add extra 1/2 to 1 part water and see how
that works. (1 gum/pigment + 1 dichromate + 1/2 or 1 water...)

Hope this helps & good luck!
Regards,
Loris.