[alt-photo] Re: printer woes

Kees Brandenburg ctb at zeelandnet.nl
Wed Jan 20 09:43:55 GMT 2010

Hi Chris

> What needs to happen is first to reset the counter (yes, every time you clean your heads the counter records it and predicts when the diaper is at its end whether it is or not.

I have done this several times though not with a 2400. When the waste ink tank is full the printer refuses to print with all three lights flahing. But you can reset the printer.
Normally resetting on Epsons goes like this: press the paper and the cleaning button while the printer is switched off. Then push the on/off button to switch it on and hold the other two pressed. After a short time the paper button light starts flashing. Then you can release the two buttons you kept pressed. At this point there are two reset possibilities: a normal one and a full reset that also resets the waste ink amount. For the first one you press the paper button shortly. After another (longer) blink of the paper button the printer is reset and back to it's normal starting position. To reset the waste ink counter you do the first steps of a normal reset (hold paper and cleaning button and switch printer on) and when the paper button flashes for 3 seconds you hold down the cleaning button for 10+  seconds. After the reset is done the three lights do a longer blink together and go out. Then you can release the cleaning button. After this the printer will print again. Even with a full diaper!

> If you send the printer with a full diaper (I know this is beginning to sound ridiculous) it will spill over and ruin the printer.  Thus you cannot ship it.  You have to bring it in to the service center.  Of which there are none (reputable) in BZ. Those of you in a big city are fine, though.

Oh, this remembers me off my parens printer that had the same problem as yours. I offered to do the diaper change and reset for them and asked them to bring the printer at their next visit. I forgot to tell them to take care and only move it upright. The day before they left, my mother packed the printer in a bag, on it's side (!) and put the bag in the car allready. You can imagine what happened. A complete mess and ink everywhere where it should not be! But I managed to clean everything, drained the waste ink reservoir, and did a printer resetr. It's printing still! So there is hope.

To change the waste ink pad, or wash it, which is also possible you have to find your way to the inside of the printer. This is not really difficult for someone who likes this kind of tinkering. Find and unscrew the plastic hood and sides. Then you will find the location where you can unscrew and open the waste ink compartiment. Pull out the waste ink pad - a thick peace of felt like stuff to replace or wash it and drain and clean the compartiment with paper towels.

Then put everything together again and reset if not done allready

> My Canoscan FS4000 does NOT work with Snow Leopard.  So now tell me how I like Snow Leopard??

Vuescan http://www.hamrick.com supports the canoscan 4000 and is excellent scanning software. I am using it for all my scanners. It is $80 shareware for the pro version but that's for lifetime upgrades.

kees