[alt-photo] The Gum Arabic Report (was: Re: Re: evaporation of gum mixture)

Katharine Thayer kthayer at pacifier.com
Mon Jul 5 18:10:14 GMT 2010

Suffering from a strained back and having no plans for the holiday
beyond reading David McCullough's biography of John Adams and
listening to Aaron Copeland's American-themed music, I spent some
time yesterday trying to find out more about the structure and
properties of Acacia seyal.  I learned very little about that, but
found myself drawn into a fascinating study of the political
maneuvering around the labeling and marketing of gum arabic.  Since I
was researching on the internet, I didn't get a full picture of
course, only intriguing bits and pieces.

Some of the things I found out that might be interesting for gum
printers to know:

A. seyal until fairly recently has been a very small part of the gum
market, like 5% or so.  Now, it represents fully half of the gum
arabic market.

  Prior to 1998,  the label "gum arabic" was reserved for gum from
Acacia senegal "and closely related species."   In 1990,  a sentence
was added to the definition that specified that the the solution must
fall within a specific optical rotation range,  that effectively
excluded A. seyal.  (A. senegal is levorotary; A. seyal and some
other A. species are dextrorotary).

In a series of political maneuvers in 1998-1999 at meetings of the
JECFA (Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives) and the Codex
Alimentarious Advisory Commission,  the rotation specification was
dropped and the definition was expanded to  specifically include A.
seyal, with additional language specifying that the two are not
technologically equivalent  and can be distinguished by immunoassay.
This expansion of the definition of gum arabic was opposed by Sudan
(which has historically controlled the market in A. senegal) but
supported by other gum-producing nations like Chad and Nigeria, which
produce more A. seyal than A. senegal.  But in the final approval the
qualifying language was stripped off and the final approved
definition of gum arabic, still in  place, reads simply:

     "Gum arabic is a dried exudate obtained from the stems and
branches of  Acacia senegal or Acacia seyal
(fam. Leguminosae)."

While it is politically advantageous for talha-producing countries to
have achieved the inclusion of Acacia seyal in the definition of gum
arabic (thereby effectively allowing its use for foods)  it is
generally agreed in the trade that gum talha is an inferior product.
As one report put it, "Talha is substantially cheaper than hashab (A.
senegal) because it has inferior technical properties for some of gum
arabic's uses, such as in the soft drinks industry..."  and exporting
countries typically assign A. seyal a lower grade than A. senegal.

I was not able to find much information about the properties of
talha, except that in raw form it is more friable (crumbles easily in
the hand) and doesn't tend to form hard tears as A. senegal does,
that it is dextrorotary, that it contains more tannins, that it
exists in two forms: reddish and white.  How it performs in gum
printing there is of course no available data on, other than Tom's
anecdotal report, and I'll look forward to a further report.  Talha
has become the gum of choice for health-food and alternative medicine
uses, probably because it's historically been cheaper than A. senegal.

I did come to the conclusion that I was wrong about Kremer's gum.  I
had assumed that because they described their gum arabic as coming
from A. senegal or A. seyal, that they meant that if you bought gum
arabic from them, it might be either A. senegal or A. seyal.  Now it
seems clear to me that their description is simply copied from the
official definition of gum arabic:  "Gum arabic is the dried exudate
from A. senegal or A. seyal."  However, they provide sufficiently
specific specifications to establish that their gum arabic is indeed
A. senegal, based on the optical rotation.   IMO, they should either
drop their use of the official definition of gum arabic, or if they
are going to keep it, they should at least make it clear in the
product description that while officially, gum arabic can either be
A. senegal or A. seyal, the gum arabic they sell is A. senegal.

As to Daniel Smith, I have no idea.  All I know is that this gum
behaves differently than other gums I've used. It prints the same; it
prints beautifully, in fact,  but physically, it behaves differently,
it seems like a different gum than  the others I've used.  So it
seemed logical to wonder if it's actually a different species of
Acacia, but as I said, it's just a suspicion which I have not been
able to confirm or disconfirm.

I always thought the size of the crop depended on weather conditions
and disruption in areas of conflict and stuff like that, but it turns
out that while those factors do play a part,  the thing that has
affected the available supply more than anything has been policies
set by the Sudan government-run monopoly gum exporting company (which
has since been racked with corruption charges and effectively shut
down as a government monopoly)   that have resulted in the farmers
being paid so little for the gum that it wasn't worth their while to
harvest it, and many farmers have cut the trees down to make room
for other crops.  An industry market report from March 2010 warns "A
very poor gum acacia crop this year, raising huge concerns about gum
prices once the old stocks are depleted. Furthermore, low gum prices
in Sudan mean that farmers have no incentives to tap trees and have
pursued alternative sources of income. As a result, a large
proportion of gum acacia trees remain untapped, drastically reducing
the size of the crop."  A Sudan government announcement the same
month proclaimed that Sudan's output of gum arabic had reached 49,000
tons for the season, which would be a good total for a good year, but
this seems fanciful election rhetoric, given that the industry market
report for June continues dire:  "The price increase trend of A.
senegal continues as the quantities of incoming raw gums keep
dwindling.  We foresee that this will remain the case.  The supply of
Hand Picked Select (the highest grade of A. senegal) is extremely
limited, will not meet demand, and will remain very high priced."

The price of A. senegal in contrast was very low from 1998-2003 or
so; let's hope that our suppliers loaded up during those years of
cheap gum and won't have to buy while the price is high.

I just think this is all very fascinating, and share it for whatever
it's worth to anyone else.  There's a lot more, but that's probably
really enough for now, and as I said, this is just bits and pieces
I've pulled off the internet, hardly a full account, but I really do
think someone should write that book.
Katharine

On Jul 4, 2010, at 9:07 AM, Tomas Sobota wrote:

> Some months ago I posted here about an experiment I made with gum
> talha
> (Acacia seyal). I received a small quantity from friends in the
> Sahrawi
> camps in southern Algeria, where the tree also grows.
>
> I prepared and used this gum just like senegal, with totally
> disappointing
> results: all the gum coat seemed to harden and hence, no image.
>
> This test was just a fast experiment, so I cannot swear that some
> other
> variable didn't get in the way. Now that you remind me, I will try
> again in
> more controlled circumstances.
>
> Gum senegal in stones (you call them "tears" but what is sold here
> is so
> large that it could only be called crocodile tears) is very easy to
> get
> here, and reasonably inexpensive, that's one of the reasons that I
> buy it
> instead of prepared gum. Also, the work is not that much: the gum
> dissolves
> easily during a night or less.
>
> Tom Sobota
> Madrid, Spain
>
> On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Katharine Thayer
> <kthayer at pacifier.com>wrote:
>

>> On Jul 3, 2010, at 1:22 AM, Tomas Sobota wrote:
>>
>>  I have never used prepared gum solution. I prepare gum in the
>> original
>>
>>> artisanal way, dissolving gum arabic stones in water. Then, I
>>> keep the
>>> solution in dark glass bottles, well stopped and preserved with a
>>> few
>>> thymol