[alt-photo] Re: DESICCATE! DESICCATE! DANCE TO THE MUSIC!

Alberto Novo alt.list at albertonovo.it
Thu Jul 29 07:15:30 GMT 2010

> But . . . nothing I said in my earlier post suggested that I think  topics
> should be shut down, that topics on science or chemistry are
> inappropriate or "silly," or that whatever anybody might write is
> pointless, stupid, or "off-bounds."   I choose not to talk about step
> wedges and equations, but that's just me.  I read most every post  here,
> regardless--even detailed comments on processes about which I  know
> nothing-- hell, I didn't even use the delete key when we got to  pink
> thongs-- or was it a thong?  Hmm . . .
>
> But I digress.  My point is-- I agree with you.  What made you think I
> didn't?   Just because I said I would have been turned off by all that
> chemistry in a beginning alt photo class/photography class?  Well, I
> would have been.  And I personally wouldn't teach a beginning printing
> class that way, either.

Diana,
me too (perhaps not being an English mothertongue) had the feeling that in
your post you were in disagreement with the argumentations about chemistry
and math.
I would add that the scientific concepts used in those discussions were very
simple, and I learned them when I was 12 years old (proportions) and 15
(molarity and stoichiometry). I suppose that others should have learned the
some things at more or less my same age, and should be known like the basic
grammar, history and literature.

>> I think posts about the art, the craft, and the science of alt photo
>> should all be welcomed—I don't see that any one category should be
>> considered less appropriate.

Mark,
I agree. And more, I often try to see the connection among photography,
painting, music, history and policy evolving in the same time. It is very
fascinating.

Alberto
www.grupponamias.com
www.alternativephotography.com/articles/art102.html