[alt-photo] Re: Klein Blue (ping Katherine...)

Marek Matusz marekmatusz at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 29 17:25:26 GMT 2010

Keith

Looking at the painting on my uncalibrated monitor I can see a substantial purple component to the blue. It is difficult to judge the intensity on the screen. To my eye the paint is a mix of phtalo/ultramarine and some kind of binder or extender. Phtalo blue is dominated now by paint/printing industry, but it is possible that there was a variant back then that had a different hue.

FOr gum I would suggest using two or more separate blue layers. Start with an indantthrone blue layer and then print another layer of thalo blue on top. This is my trick to having blues that are not as cyan as phtalo or prussian, especially for "must have" this shade of sky. You can mix the pigments, but the visual effect is not quite the same, but then you know all the gum tricks.

Marek