[alt-photo] Re: Weston Diploma Parchment

Clay Harmon Website clayh at clayharmon.com
Tue Mar 9 11:38:40 GMT 2010

Well, if you are looking for paper recommendations,  one of the Rives BFK Heavyweight (175gsm, i think) flavors comes in a buff colored version that might work for you. It is common enough that you should not have a problem getting hold of some. I buy mine in a local art supply store.

It makes prints every bit as nice as the Weston paper, has much better wet strength, and is slightly more textured. If you can treat it for 5 minutes or so in a 2% oxalic bath, and then dry it before coating, I think you will a lot less frustrated.

FWIW, with this paper, I coat it, let it absorb for about a minute, then use a hairdryer on cool to 'set' the coating and prevent it from going too deep into the paper. Then I let it rehumidify before printing.

I am sure some others may chime in with some paper recommendations along the lines of what you are looking for.

Clay