[alt-photo] Re: Paractitioners from WWII thru the 1970's

Judy Seigel jseigel at panix.com
Fri Mar 12 06:00:40 GMT 2010

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Keith Gerling wrote:

>> Todd Walker made gum bichromate prints in the 60s (I think)>>

It's really demoralizing... (I mean besides worrying about those
paractitioners and the evil schemes they harbour for our long suffering
bodies), what I mean is, you think some dates are perfectly engraved in
your mind & a few years later you find they've floated out to sea...

On top of which, a week or so ago I couldn't even find my copy of
Newhall... Still, I have some books around that taught things like gum
printing from the earliest days of the 20th century (well before the
materials & processes of photography were standardized by Kodak)...
I suppose still an extension of the pictorial processes of late 19th
century...

If Malin's Website "alternativephotography.com" is still up, that had a
pretty good intro... and as I recall I wrote a thing about gum she put up
there, that I used as intro to the first Post-Factory (probably 1998),
with, among other items, for instance:

Puyo and Demachy first published in the Photo Club de Paris what they
called "Art Processes in Photography" in 1906; Demachy's first steps into
gum printing were 1889 (page 4, P-F #1)... Gertrude Kasebier was about
then, and Julia Margaret Cameron began with Cyanotype in.... what????...
the very first days of photography... like 1809.  I suspect that anyone
who hasn't got their copy of Newhall buried under 27 layers of debris,
could find these dates & many more...

J.