[alt-photo] Re: to shrink or not to shrink (registration)

Paul Viapiano viapiano at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 22 16:10:21 GMT 2010

Hi Trevor...

It's all very simple (well, a bit harder when I use inkjet waxed paper
negs), but still very easy...

I thought about using a reg tab system similar to Keith Taylor's , and may
look into that when I have a block of time (ha!) but for now this works
great.

Yes, I line up all three negs on a light box, tape them to hold them
together, move the grouped negs to a piece of corrugated cardboard and push
three holes through all of them with a simple bulletin board pushpin. I like
to put two holes at the top (left and right) and one hole at center bottom,
anywhere on the border of your film that won't be seen when you cut your
final mat or however you present.

When I expose, I take my paper and one neg, stick the pins through all 3
holes, then I put the paper on top of the neg , on a lightbox and mark the
corners of my coating area.

I coat, dry and then reregister the first neg with the pins, tape the neg to
the paper with low-tack blue tape in three spots, remove the pins, and I'm
good to go in the contact frame.

Hope this helps...

Paul