[alt-photo] Re: new digital sensor

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Tue Mar 23 21:24:03 GMT 2010

I don't understand that conceptualization; I mean, if it was enough /
satisfactory when you bought it, why it doesn't remain so? I'm still
very happy with my Sony A700 (which was announced on late 2007) and I
think it will make me happy as long as I use it. (In fact, it made me
quit shooting 35mm day-to-day; currently I only shoot digital or 120
film - I very seldom shoot 35mm...)

The problem with digital cameras is they have a relatively short
useful life; 4-5 years or so, before they cause you problems or until
you can't find genuine consumables - such as batteries and/or spare
parts. (I imagine Judy yelling "planned obsolescence!" right now -
hehehehe...) I still have a Zorki 4K with nice Jupiter 8, 9, 12 lenses
and a turret finder, all older than I am, all in good shape, which I
know that they will serve me well in case I decide to use them. (As
they did back when I was actually using them.) Unfortunately you don't
have that with electronic gear - that's my real problem with digital
cameras... (Maybe that was exactly what you were referring to.)

Regards,
Loris.