[alt-photo] Gold chloride in Pt/Pd sensitizer

Jonathan Reid jon at sharperstill.com
Sun May 2 12:39:15 GMT 2010

Hi all,

I was hoping to get a consensus view on the addition of gold chloride
in Ferric Oxalate. Dick Arentz claims that one drop 5% gold chloride
added to the sensitizer will cool the image tone and possibly reduce
granularity.

I have read other reports that state one drop of 1%. Then there's a
book called New dimensions in photo processes: a step-by-step manual
  By Laura Blacklow, in which she states that "1-2% gold chloride, a
few drops to warm the tones and reduce the contrast of a platinum
print". I don't own this book but it showed up in Google Books after a
search.

Mike ware seems to discount the use of gold chloride in all but pure
palladium prints. I can't check my Christopher James book right now as
it is not with me.

I searched the archives of the list but only really found references
to post-development toning using gold chloride.

I'm printing 5x7 pyro negs with 6 drops sensitiser and 7 drops metals.
Bostick and Sullivan sell it in 0.2%, 1%, 5% and 10% strengths.

Lastly, is the effect the same as gold toning post-development. If so
I can see advantages ion not handling/wetting the paper twice.

Sincerely,

Jon