[alt-photo] Re: humidity and contrast in the palladium / platinum processes

Jeremy Moore jeremydmoore at gmail.com
Fri May 21 14:59:48 GMT 2010

Francis,

I will suggest a very easy test to see how relative humidity affects YOUR
printing.

Variable: Humidity

Experimental Model:
1. Coat a piece of paper and immediately blow dry it (preferably with cool
air so as not to introduce another variable, but you do want forced air)
then expose it.
2. Process as normal.
3. Coat a 2nd sheet of paper and immediately blow dry it (dry it in the same
manner as you dried the first one). Re-humidify this paper by holding it
over steamy water from a tap or heated water on a stove or a humidifier if
you have one. Humidify the paper until it is as damp as you think you can
make it without ruining your digital negative then expose it.
4. Process as normal.
5. Let both prints fully dry then compare and report back to us!

Notes: Keep everything as constant as possible--even to the point of paper
from the same batch or coating 2 halves of the same sheet. Print an image
with long, smooth tonal scale. Include a step wedge in the prints--both a
Stouffer if you have one and a test wedge created in Photoshop that is part
of your digital negative.